(Scroll down to view announcement for Education Asst. job posting)
The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC), received grant funding from the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) to “develop a strategic plan for the future operations of Eckley Miners’ Village historic site in northeastern Pennsylvania…The PHMC seeks to develop a sustainable new business model and management plan to promote Eckley as a regional heritage tourism asset, drawing visitors and improving the regional economy.” The plan includes recommendations for a sustainable future use for the property, identification of potential investors in the new strategy, and a roadmap and timeline for the implementation of the strategy. Visit to view the plan: https://gis.penndot.gov/CRGISAttachments/SiteResource/H00737_719_09_3.pdf
PHMC is providing funding to the Eckley Miners’ Village Associates (EMVA) to hire a contract Project Manager/Fundraiser (PM/F) to work with PHMC staff, EMVA staff and board members, and stakeholders to implement Eckley’s new strategic/sustainability plan. The goal of the PM/F is to implement the strategic/sustainability plan, enabling the Commission to better preserve this significant historic resource and deliver a sustainable future for Eckley Miners’ Village.
WORK LOCATION AND ORGANIZATION
The PM/F will be based at Eckley Miners’ Village, 2 Eckley Main Street, Weatherly, PA. Some regional travel to develop community support and meet potential funders will be required. Occasional trips to PHMC’s offices in Harrisburg may be required. The work schedule of the PM/F will be a minimum of four days per week, between Monday and Friday. The schedule will be from 8:30-5 on those days. This schedule excludes state holidays when offices are closed, and days off as agreed upon by the PHMC’s Eastern Division Chief.
Eckley Miners’ Village is operated within the Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums’ (BHSM) Eastern Division of PHMC.
- The PM/F will report to the Eastern Division Chief of BHSM of the PHMC and PM/F tasks will be coordinated with the Site Administrator of the Anthracite Heritage Museum and the PHMC’s State Historic Preservation Office as required.
- The Project Manager/Fundraiser will interface with PHMC staff at Eckley (a Clerk Typist, and maintenance personnel), and with EMVA staff and volunteers, who provide day to day operations and special programming.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Project Manager/Fundraiser will
- Plan and coordinate all work related to the implementation of Eckley Miners’ Village Strategic Plan. Make recommendations to PHMC and EMVA on how best to implement the plan, including approaching new partners, and identifying potential funders. Upon approval by PHMC, proceed with carrying out implementation strategy. (55%)
- Develop strong relationships with potential funders, including individual donors, businesses, and granting agencies, as related to the strategic/sustainability plan. (20%)
- Write and administer various funding proposals to achieve the goals of the plan. (20%)
- Assist the Eckley Miners’ Village Associates with fundraising efforts to support staffing and programming efforts. (5%)
- This work includes becoming familiar with the history of Eckley, along with existing conditions, and various studies already completed about the site, and promoting the site’s importance to stakeholders and partners.
- Goals for the PM/F will be set in conjunction with the Eastern Division Chief and the Site Administrator of the Anthracite Heritage Museum.
- Qualified candidates will have demonstrated experience in project management, implementation of strategic plans, grant writing and/or fundraising.
- Qualified candidates will hold a 4-year degree in a related field. A Master’s degree specializing in one of the key feature areas of the project is desired.
- Candidate must be able to demonstrate experience in achieving successful outcomes in fundraising, historic preservation planning, land development, project management, and/or community development or related field
- Candidate must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Candidate must be willing to adhere to the PHMC’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Access Policy.
- The term of project is through June 30, 2021 with potential for renewal.
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
Submit Resume, Cover Letter, and Three references to:
Eckley Miners’ Village Project Manager Position, 2 Eckley Main Street, Weatherly, PA 18255
Deadline: April 17, 2020
No phone inquiries, please.
Education Assistant I
Eckley Miners’ Village is seeking a part-time Education Assistant. The Education Assistant will assist the Education and Volunteer Coordinator nd museum staff with all special programs, on-site educational activities (e.g. giving guided village tours), may occasionally need to travel for off-site special programs, work front desk as needed, and assist with various other museum functions. Applicants must pass required background checks.
General hours are 15-30 per week through the spring and summer. Additional fall and winter hours may be available. Position will work weekends and evenings as necessary to support tours and programs.
Skills necessary for this position: Willingness to perform public speaking and to answer phones, ability to follow directions, work effectively in team setting and individually, and to interact with large varieties and volumes of people is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience working with children, public speaking, event planning, in office and outdoor setting, and experience working and/or volunteering at historical site or in museum setting preferred but not required.
Applicants should send cover letter, detailed resume, and three references to email@example.com. Deadline: March 27, 2020. Position will begin in April.
Site Administrator Eckley Miners’ Village, 2 Eckley Main Street, Weatherly, PA 18255. No phone calls please.