Angela Varesano 6/20/72 Mr. & Mrs. James Gaffney
Mr. Gaffney first worked in the mines in 1924. At age four teen he started as a sand boy on the Penn Pailroad. He brought up the sand to the box. Sand was used to brake the train by sprinkling it on the tracks. He drove the mules, later in the mines. He also worked as a “top man” as a truck driver and hitcher. A topman worked outside the mines, eight hours a day for $4.62 a day. A wide run is a run of twenty to thirty cars of coal in the mines.
The rectory was occupied by the Roarty’s in his mother’s time. Billy Coil and his family lived there for fifty-two years. The O’Donnells lived there for fourteen years.
On the Mollie Maguires: One of the Buck Mountain beer gardens was used as a meeting place. He says, “They say there’s quite a few bodies there.”
“You mean beneath the floor boards?”
His grandfather hid for four weeks in a potato patch when he quit the organization. He was Secretary-Treasurer. John McHugh came to Eckley from Donegal at five years of age. He lived at #7.
The McGraw Funeral Home on Washington Street in Freeland has a High Episcopalian Church similar in style to the Protestant churches in Eckley.
The schoolhouse was a one-floor building with four or six rooms, up to the fourth grade. The teachers were, first through eighth with sixth and seventh combimed: Miss Brislan 2 Miss Corra, 3Anna Gaffney, 5Gracie Denion, John Coil, and John O’Donnell.
Worked in the timber yard When he worked at #2, there was a phonograph in the mines. Pat Fatula brought it in: it played music which echoed through out the mine. Jim Crabtree put a stop to it.
The Eckley bell is at the Holy Dormition Monastery, hanging in the grove.
Eckley was at one time all Irish. The Catholic Church was built in 1854. The German’s came in the late 1800’s. In the early 1900’s Henry Jayn was a mine boss. A Portuguese group of mine workers lived at the #5 breaker, between Pinkash and #6.
Angela Varesano 11:00 – 12:00 pm. Mrs. James Gaffney age 62 6/22/72 Anna (Campbell) Gaffney In 1936 they came to Eckley. Been in Sandy Valley, on a farm. Mr. Gaffney – 1924 .…1st worked in mines On Central Pen RR as a sand boy– brought sand up to box He was 14 years old. Then, ([? ] also later mules,) ( Lehigh, crossed out)worked at “topman.” –truck driver & hitcher. topman– a man who worked outside mines. Worked 8 hours for $4.62/day. Worked as a (?) Wide run–a run of 20–30 (?)
Rectory 1. Billy Coil & family For 52 yrs. O’Donnells 19 years
His grandfather hid 4 weeks in a potato patch when he quit the organization, as Secretary Treasurer. His Grandfather came from Ireland at 5 years of age. Lived at #7. John McHugh–his mother & father (mr’s f.) His Father–born Donegal Ireland. Came to Philly (?) at 14. Worked as Foreman at breaker. Mother–born here–Katherine McHugh. Father was a lokie engineer. His father was involved with union. vice president of United Mine Workers. And a board member. (Tony Boil—-Presidnet of United Mine Workers (sic)” Yeblanche” Yeblonsky) slayings–Gaffney & Mr. Tony Boil association concocted by people, since he had his picture taken shaking his hands. Remember old schoolhouse. Mc Graws Funeral Home on Washington Street of Freeland has a
teachers grades– 6th Miss Brislan Brislan 2nd Miss Cona Conea 3rd Anna Gaffney Gaffney 4th 5 Gracie Denion Denion 6th & 7th John Coil Coil (Combined) 8th John O’Donnell
*worked in timber yard. When he worked at #2, there was *2 a phonograph in mines Pat Fatola brought it in. Played music. It echoed throughout Jim Grabl? put a stop. Eckley bell. At Holy Dormition Monastery, hanging in the groves. Eckley was at one time all Irish. 1864–church was built this Catholic Church.
Mr. and Mrs. James Gaffney
Mr. Gaffney first worked in mines in 1924 (?). At age 14, he started as a sand boy in the Penn RR; he brought the sand up to the box. Sand was used to brake the train by sprinkling it on the tracks. He drove the mules, later, in the mines. Worked as “top man”– a truck driver & hitcher. topman–A man who worked outside the mines. Worked 8 hrs. for $4.62 a day. Wide run–A run of 20-30 cars (coal cars) in the mines. The rectory was occupied by the Roarty’s in his mother’s time. Billy Coil(sic) & his family lived there for 52 years. O’Donnells lived there 14 years. On the Mollie (sic) Maguires One of the Back Mt. beer gardens was used as a meeting place, he says: “They say there’s quite a few bodies there”
A.: You mean beneath the floor boards? Mr. G.: (Ans.) “Yes.”
His grandfather hid 4 weeks in a potato patch when he quit the Mollies. He was Secretary Treasurer. John McHugh came to Eckley from Donegal at 5 years age. Lived at #7.
Alice Powell, Daryl Bojarcik, Barbara Olsav-Hudock, Nicole Spangenburg , Sue Farley and Camille Westmont